Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Spirit of Giving

This time of year, there are Salvation Army bell ringers in front of most every store. If I actually happen to pay with cash and have some change, I'll drop it in on my way out, but, honestly, most of the time, I walk right by barely even making eye contact.

Today I was at Hobby Lobby exchanging some Christmas lights (a whole other long story!), and there was the bell ringer. I passed right by on my way in without really even noticing, but, what really caught my attention was what happened when I was leaving the store. A mom gave her little boy (couldn't have been older than 3 or 4) a couple of coins to drop into the pot. I wish I had gotten a picture of his face after he had given the money. Pure, innocent joy is the only way to describe it.

He had the biggest smile on his face and was literally jumping up and down from excitement as he held his mom's hand and walked into the store. As Christians we are commanded to be cheerful givers, but when was the last time we felt that kind of joy from giving? I know it has been a long while for me. I guess God knew I needed a reminder to worry a little less about saving money this Christmas and to focus on what the true spirit of giving should be. It's times like this that help me understand more fully what Jesus meant when he said we should be more like children!


***P.S.- Don't miss Cole's 5 month old post below.***

1 comment:

Audra Laney said...

So, so true! I have felt God tugging at my heart just giving me the word "hospitable." I was so excited to see the angel tree at church last night. I usually just pick one ornament, but felt God tugging at me to stretch our means and got 2. I know that is going to bless me more than it does the child! Good post!