Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, October 9, 2009

Reflux Sucks...


So for those of you wondering why I haven't posted in so long... we have been having a couple of hard weeks at our house. It started about 2 weeks ago when we were in TN for the weekend. Cole started sleeping poorly at night and was beside himself Sat. night at my parents house, but we just figured it was because he wasn't used to being with so many people and was out of whack from being in the car so much. Sunday night followed suit, but we thought it was still the weekend affecting him. Well when Monday was no better, I called the pediatrician Tuesday morning but was told to "just be consistent and practice good sleep habits." Thanks a lot! Sometimes the "you're a first-time mom and overreacting" thing is not fair. Haha.

Anyway, nights got progressively worse. I mean, I would see EVERY hour on the clock at night- some multiple times. Murray was so sweet and helped a ton, but he started a crazy busy rotation last Thursday so I knew he couldn't get up with him anymore. Thank goodness my parents had already planned a trip since it was Neesha's fall break. So after my mom was there for a weekend, she agreed something was wrong... he wasn't just being a bad baby or I hadn't just not practiced good enough habits.

Also, Cole was acting really funny about eating. He would latch on for like 2 seconds, come off, arch his back so hard, and SCREAM! Needless to say, this was really stressful for him and me. Isn't nursing supposed to be a soothing, pleasant experience?

I came back to Memphis with my family for the week because seriously Murray is working like a dog... 6am-2am some days and not home before 10 a single night last week. I wasn't going to see him anyway so this was a great chance for some extended family bonding time with Cole... more like a break for Cole's momma, but hey... either way!

When we had another bad night this Sunday night, we headed into wonderful Dr. Bubba. Thank goodness he justified my feelings and informed us that Cole has reflux. Let me pause right here and say... how could I have missed that?!?! I'm ashamed that I'm a nurse- a NICU nurse- and somehow never caught it. Actually Murray asked me if that could have been the problem before we saw Dr. Bubba, and I still didn't think of it really. Daddy knew.

Anyway, since I have been informed of it, I have noticed Cole refluxing all the time. He doesn't always actually spit up, but he does gag, cough, get red & watery eyes, and cry when it happens. It will wake him from a dead sleep and send him screaming instantly. It's so hard as a mom to watch your baby hurt like that and not really have anything you can do to stop it.

The good news is that after 4 days of taking Prevacid, he seems to be feeling better. He is sleeping SO much better at night and was much happier during the day yesterday. He also has nursed better the last 24 hours so we are crossing our fingers that our happy boy is on his way back.

On a happy note, here is the cute rocking horse we got in the mail last week from Cole's sweet PopPop (Murray's dad). I can see many hours of fun on this horse in our future! Thanks PopPop!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I am so glad that you found out what was wrong and that the treatment is working. Poor little Cole. I hope that you all can start getting some good sleep!

Audra Laney said...

Bless your hearts! Been praying for y'all!